Sunday, September 10, 2006

Accessory turn signals of the 20's and 30's

For a few years now, I have been fascinated by a very odd automotive accessory,..... the add on turn signal / Stop light...... Mainly because of the seemingly endless variety of styles and companies that made these things from the teens through the 40's. I seem to come across a different one at least every month, and they just keep getting stranger and stranger.

You see, ... as strange as it may seem to anyone under the age of 65, most cars didn't come stock with turn signals..... Not until the late 40's early 50's. And as necessity is the mother of all invention, you can only imagine how many model T's and A's smashed into each other due to the lack of information form one driver to another as to which direction you were about to suddenly go. Of course everyone could use hand signals, but you can imagine how many people actually did, I mean,... what if it's raining ?.. are you gonna roll down your window and stick your arm out of the car every time you want to turn? Probably not.

Hence, the accessory turn signal. I hope you enjoy them.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


As much as I would love to own them all, and some of them are from my small collection, I have come to the conclusion that trying to get them all would be a very time consuming and money wasting experience, as I have seen some of these crazy things sell well into the hundreds. So for now, I am content with saving the images, and collecting them on my hard drive.

10 comments:

Ed T. said...

Great stuff! I've sent you an email with some similar devices via your contact info link - let me know if you don't get it.

BTW, all the photo links either toss you to the photobucket site or are broken altogether. Thought you'd like to know.

Cheers,
Ed T.

Mom O Matic said...

Wonderful stuff!

Miss Cellania said...

The brake light concept probably saved more lives than the turn signals! These are fascinating. I can't see myself trusting the one that says OKAY PASS. But you shouldn't trust other drivers, anyway.

MgtBobber said...

Hye Mr. Green.. I'm Shazrin from Malaysia. I'm making/customising my motorbike and i've been serching for this vintage turn signal and tail lights for quite some time. I saw you collection and i wannted to ask if you are interested in selling one or two of your turn signal and tail light. I would very much like to put this lights on my bike. Hope to hear from you. Please email me at mgtbobber@yahoo.com Thanks. By the way your collection are superb!!

Michael said...

Hi, thanks for posting this set of photos! I would very much like to see a website devoted to turn signal switches, so that it would be easier to restore and repair them and to know the makers. Does anybody know of such a site?

Michael said...

Hi, thanks for posting this set of photos! I would very much like to see a website devoted to turn signal switches, so that it would be easier to restore and repair them and to know the makers. Does anybody know of such a site?

Unknown said...

Hey If there is ayone who knows about these kinds of lights I have a really old school light that I would like to know more information about a particular light I have.

https://sphotos-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1173838_10101168767841784_1360468893_n.jpg

Bravely Sir Robin said...

The seventh one (second after the skull) is actually a bicycle turn signal from the 60s. I remember seeing them back then.

Dan B said...

Hi Bobby,

I used to have that skull stop light. My uncle gave it to me when I was just a kid. I kept it and when I bought my first car (70 Charger) I mounted it in the back window. I loved that light and it was special, being from my uncle.

When I sold the car I took it out and stashed it in my tool box (where I thought it still resided).

Recently I started a resto of a 69 Charger and remembered that stop light . . . thinking I would put it in the rear window just like I did back in the 70's.

To my dismay, I can't find the skull.

Do you know of one that I might be able to acquire . . . it would mean alot to me.

You can reach me at baccari@roadrunner.com

Thanks,
Dan

Dan B said...

Hi . . . Haven't heard back from you on the skull light. If you or anyone knows of one, please give me a call at 716-449-6433.

Thanks
Dan